Parent Visa

Parent Visa

The parent may immigrate to Australia using the Parent Visa, which is a permanent visa. It can be the parent of a citizen of Australia, a permanent resident of Australia, or a citizen of New Zealand who qualifies. Thus, in order to qualify for a parent visa, you must be the parent of an Australian citizen who has lived in Australia for at least five years.

You can live, work, and study in Australia indefinitely with this visa. Additionally, for the first five years following the date your visa is issued, you are allowed to depart Australia on multiple occasions. After the initial five years, if you want to travel, you must apply for a Resident Return (RRV) in order to re-enter Australia as a permanent resident. Of course, you can only do this after receiving the RRV.

You cannot reside in Australia while awaiting this visa decision.

Parents who pass the rest of the family test are eligible for parent visas. Parents must have at least half of their children living in Australia in order to qualify under this. This means that if you live in Australia and have one sibling abroad, you can sponsor them; however, if you have two siblings abroad, you cannot.

Parents are always welcome to apply for a Visitor visa to come to Australia to visit.